Which Holiday Plants are Toxic for Your Dog December 06 2019, 0 Comments

The holidays are fast approaching and you're most likely getting a head start on your decorations. Many people love to display festive holiday plants around their homes. While these may look pretty, some are very toxic to dogs. If you are set on live plants, be very cautious of where you place them. Always keep your dog in mind when decorating for the holidays. An emergency vet visit isn’t the best way to celebrate! 

Holly & Mistletoe

These popular holiday plants are categorized as moderate to severely toxic. If your dog ingests the plant or the berries, it can cause serious side effects. Mistletoe contains substances called toxalbumin and pharatoxin. These are extremely toxic to dogs and can cause low blood pressure and breathing problems. If you’re unsure if your dog ate your holly or mistletoe plant, look out for these symptoms: 

  • Vomiting 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Excessive drooling 

Poinsettia Plants 

A very popular idea is that poinsettias are very toxic to dogs. They actually are mildly toxic and can’t do too much damage. The sap found on poinsettia leaves will irritate your dog’s mouth and stomach if ingested. The worst this plant can do is make your dog nauseous and possibly cause them to vomit. It would take an excessive amount of the plant to be ingested to cause any severe damage or harmful symptoms. However, if your poinsettias have pesticides on them, this could cause a problem for your dog. 

Christmas Tree 

If you skip the store-bought Christmas tree and opt to cut a fresh one, this is for you! While cutting down a tree might be a fun tradition you do with your family, it comes with some risks. Fresh Christmas trees produce an oil that can irritate your dog's mouth. It will also cause excessive drooling that can lead to vomiting. 

The tree needles are the most dangerous part of the tree. If your dog ingests these, it can cause irritation, obstruction, and punctures to the intestines. While your dog may not be hanging around the tree to eat the needles, even just one can cause extreme pain. The water used for the tree may contain fertilizer and bad bacteria that can be toxic to your dog. If you still decide to get a real tree, here are some safety tips: 

  • Vacuum daily to remove tree needles from the floor
  • Cover the water used to nourish the tree
  • Put the tree in a room that can be blocked off from your dog 
Liquid error: Could not find asset snippets/relatedblogs.liquid